blue moon (2)

Monday, October 10, 2005

Just for you ItisI ©

This is what I made for dinner today.
I wasn’t slated to cook today but because of something that came up and the arrival of my niece I had the job of messing up my kitchen and because of my brother who refused to eat Turkey my father took out a ham.

This is the recipe I followed for the ham.

1 (12 pound) bone-in ham
1/2 cup whole cloves
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 (20 ounce) can pineapple rings in heavy syrup
1 (4 ounce) jar chopped maraschino cherries
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage

Directions

1 Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
2 Place ham in a roasting pan. Score the rind of the ham with a diamond pattern. Press a clove into the center of each diamond. Drain the juice from the pineapple rings into a medium bowl, and stir in the brown sugar and lemon-lime soda. Coat the ham with this mixture. Arrange the pineapple rings over the outside of the ham. Place a maraschino cherry in the center of each pineapple ring, and secure with a toothpick.
3 Bake uncovered for 4 to 5 hours, basting frequently with the juices, until the internal temperature of the ham is 160 degrees F (72 degrees C).
Be sure the meat thermometer is not touching the bone. Remove toothpicks before serving or you’ll join the piercing club before you know it.



My niece was funny. She is now 20 months old and she wants to eat like everyone else, sitting at the table with a fork.
She was chasing the bits of ham around her plate with no luck.
She would stab at the pieces sending them flying of the plate and then picking them up with her hand and placing them back on the plate and began the chase again.
She would look up every now and then to watch the rest of us eating and would attempt to get food on her fork.
At one stage when she thought no one was looking she grabbed a piece and impaled it on the fork and put it in her mouth.
No sooner than she had done it she noticed we were watching and she blushed and held up the fork to show us she did it.
For the rest of the dinner she just threw the fork on the floor and said “OH” pointing at the discarded utensil and dove right in with her hands.
It’s something to watch a small kid eating mashed potatoes smothered in gravy with her hands. LOL
I’m off for turkey tomorrow you may not see me until Tuesday.
But who knows I have said that before now haven’t I.
All you Canadians out there Have a Great Thanksgiving and to my American friends enjoy your Columbus Day

Walker

No comments: